Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Face now available on iTunes!

This is way too cool! I am kvelling. To the max.

As Darth Vader said, "You may download at will."

I really have got to hand it to CD Baby because, honestly, they made this whole process incredibly simple. This is what I had to do:

  • Fill in database fields by entering a bunch of publishing information, song names, album title, etc. I had to look up a few things on BMI's site, otherwise all the info was in my brain or even closer at hand in the liner notes.

  • Write a short bio of the band and answer some questions about digital distribution.

  • Read through and sign the digital distribution contract, which as a legal contract is comparatively short and easy to read.

  • Mail one copy of the CD to their home office out in Oregon.

  • Submit a scanned image of the album cover artwork.

  • Pay $55.00 which included $35 to do the listing and $20 for them to create the barcode which is necessary for sales.

The artwork scanning was probably the biggest single chore in terms of effort; I detailed that process back here.

I was reading this blog post yesterday and I realized what a great company Derek Sivers started. An inexpensive distribution deal for anyone with product with little or no barrier to entry into the market. Viva CD Baby!!!

No comments: