Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Search Engine Static

It's fun to guess how our band experience would have been different if it had somehow miraculously occurred 10 years later in the midst of the Internet Age. But ultimately, all such futuristic speculations are a fantastic waste of time, as proved years ago by the Jetsons.


Furthermore, this is why these goofballs writing books about "robot love" should be ashamed of themselves. Well, among other more obvious reasons.

And we should never forget our oft-repeated maxim, "A second can change time."

As it stands, I've been googling the terms "Stinging Rain" for years, finding meaningful hits here and there, cutting out references to the lyrics to "Bullet the Blue Sky" and the 6th track on Capercaillie's self-titled album. I remember one listing on eBay cracked me up -- someone was trying to push a CD of "the dream" for $150.00. Needless to say that auction ended with no bidders. The Gathering Field page was a fun hit when I found it by including the phrase "Grove City" in quotes. Hitting the page of this compilation, "In the land of Milk & Cookies", brought back some scary memories. A few good ones, too, I'll admit.

Then along comes Misery Signals and their song "The Stinging Rain". If your curious, watch a few seconds of this.



Sorry -- there was really no easy way to break it to you. If you want to read the full lyrics to this screamo anthem, go here. I'll include a pertinent sample:

Gentle were the words that set her free
She became the stinging rain
She became the hurricane
No love lost
Purge you animose
That serpent coiled within my stomach
Temperance fell from her without weight
Gone with the storm
We are not meant to contain the sadness of this world
I whispered in her ear and drew her close....

Yeahhhh.... OK. Truth be told, it actually hurts my voice far more than my ears. This kind of material is also referred to as "Math Rock". But I wouldn't recommend playing this for your preschooler to improve his/her future test scores.

And just in case some Misery Signals fans find their way over here to gripe: the suicide hotline number is 800-784-2433.

No comments: